Thread: French Orbat
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2008, 07:47 AM

I'll add this as I did on RPGhost

I don't count them as weak but as I'm not playing the 300+ year after. I don't have that in mind. Anyway, in that case, it does make sense to have some more. Keep in mind, however, that France doesn't have that much of armor (at most 1000 AFVs+400 AMX-10RC) and that it has to overcome some difficulties. As a result, most of its military production (in 2000) would be used to keep the existing supply in working order.

If France retains control on limited oil, it also has limited means to get it from the Middle East as our commercial fleet is really reduced. I agree that it is incredibly powerful (by T2K standards) and it can recover faster than the rest of the world but not that fast. It has lost part of its military forces, nevertheless.

According to canon, most of the nukes fell on the coastal regions (and on the oil producing centers) and that would probably include Strasbourg (German border) as much of the northern region (Calais, Lille...). So, sorry for the canon but that cannot leave its military intact. Consequently, France will lose several air bases, a fair part of its ground forces (probably about 20%) and part of its navy (the ships not at see when the nukes start to fall). Actually, with what is said, it looses the Charles de Gaulle (under construction) and cannot build the Richelieu as its major Dockyard (St Nazaire and Brest) would be destroyed. That one is not obvious as Brest and Lorient might not be targeted (They are not major oil terminal). If they are, the Mediterranean dockyards will need work before being up to that kind of work.

It certainly has electricity but this is probably limited as I cannot imagine all nuclear power plants to be working. Many will be under repair but I think 2 or 3 are held in reserve at all time (escaping the EMP as a result).

In my world France retains an important foothold in Africa with at least Senegal, Gabon and Cameroon (Ivory Coast would have been evacuated). By the way Cameroon and Gabon are more reliable to get oil from. Sending troops in the Middle East makes sense (in a long term view), but when you need this supply fast, you take the shortest supply line. Canon never spoke of it but I don't think the Suez Canal to be open.

Morocco and Tunisia would certainly have survived also and ally with France. We have special connections with them (IRL) and both have little chance to get nukes as they don't hold Gas and Oil (unlike Algeria and Libya). However, they have valuable resources that can represent an important asset to France. In addition, France would have reopen several domestic mines recently closed for economic reasons (among them Bauxite, Coal and Iron). it also gets the industrial region of Belgium intact and expect the Saarland to be cooperative (as in the 1920's).

I agree that it has all that it needs to become a super power but if you give it too much, it will become one by 2005 (in T2K of course).

Nevertheless, France can fairly quickly become a major power: it retains a fair population (about 50 million people for mainland France and Belgium alone), it has a working industry and can get a full supply of electricity back quickly, it has access to oil (and other valuable ressources), it can use a good part of the wine business to produce ethanol for the civilians, it gets involved in Quebec, retains troops in Africa, has a base in Djibouti, controls New Caledonia (major nickel mines), retains control over parts of the Carribean with a working space agency at Kourou (useful to build a satellite network or keep yours working), might have close ties with Morocco and Tunisia, can build some with Switzerland, I wouldn't be surprised to see Italy, Portugal and Spain become ally rapidly (after all, Sarkozy is curently trying to build a Mediterranean Union), Israel needs a new ally and might turn to France also, France has a working (if slightly reduced) navy as well as some merchant vessels, it can quickly rebuild some kind of world trade... Indeed it is a major player.

A question so, if going to the Middle East, why not land with the FAR in UAE and Oman? (easier and makes more sense).

Last edited by Mohoender; 09-17-2008 at 07:55 AM.