Thread: Mustard gas
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2021, 04:23 PM

Lots of good points there. One issue is that the Twilight war backstory has always been largely incompatible with these truths we know about the actual plans, ie "seven days to the Rhine." The backstories rely on a form of prolonged war that doesn't really match the technology or doctrine anyone is using. But, that's neither here nor there.

My targets are Polish coal plants/mines. I'm assuming a reticence to nuke them because they're not high priority military targets, but they are critical strategic infrastructure. If you assume you can deny them to the enemy for a few weeks/months and then reclaim them, that seems like a good use case? Especially if the war has already reached limited-strategic. The Soviets certainly had tactical aircraft capable of delivering chemical weapons; I'm sure several NATO nations must have as well.

Lewisite seems like it might be a better fit. I can't find reliable hard info on it but what I have found suggests that (a) there were larger stockpiles of it around than mustard and (b) it remains liquid in a larger temp range.