View Single Post
Old 12-11-2010, 05:06 PM
Sabre Ready!

Send a message via AIM to Panther Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigehauser View Post
Tybee Island, South Carolina is a place people should visit to see evidence of one of the first, if not the first successful employment of rifled guns against a fortified emplacement. Fort Pulaski was taken because of Union Captain Quincy A. Gillmore's decisive exploitation of a new, experimental rifled cannon battery.

http://www.gorp.com/parks-guide/trav...ev_068099.html

Another fortress I have some knowledge about is the Brest Fortress in the city of Brest, Belarus. I think a good touch to a scenario or story taking place there would be to have eerie, or horror elements to the story whereby the characters hear, see, or encounter horrific things of the past from WWII when the Germans placed siege upon the fortress and the trapped garrison of troops within it.

As far as the film Beaufort. I own the book, and am watching the film on Netflix right now.
Pulaski is the perfect example, and the one I had in mind. While rifled guns was used earlier it this that convinced the world that they was the thing to bet on. Been to it lots of times and I encurage others to go. Pulaski's claim is based on location: it was impossible to mine, out of range from any land based cannon of the day, and in perfect location to guard the approaches to the city. It was only the use of rifled guns, and the fact that only rifled guns had the range and accuracy (by the days standards) that allowed the DY's to take the place. At that point no one doubted that the day of the smoothbore was done.

Proud fan(atic) of the CV90 Series.