View Single Post
Old 06-03-2021, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olefin View Post
You would be amazed at how many spare parts there are still out there for older vehicles to keep them running - the Littlefield Collection for one. And lots of very serious collectors as well besides him.

I grew up in a town with a gentleman who lived nearby who had a Sherman tank with a live barrel and a nice collection of thirty plus live rounds for it (including high explosive and armor piercing and one cannister round)and a whole garage full of spare parts. Definitely someone who was still alive in the timeline who would have put that old tank to very good use. He showed it in parades until well into the 90's.

Also not every outdated vehicle has a turret -there are tons of old Ferrets out there for instance - they run well and once you add the machine gun they are basically one hundred percent back to being a military vehicle - and would take a Ferret any day over an old pick up truck.
I dunno. Technicals (i e. Hilux with machine gun) do have their uses. Chad figured out that if they drove them over 100km/hr they could drive right through Libyan minefields without setting them off... That and it's very easy to procure them with aid grants from western nations when sanctions prevent military imports. The only way I see museum pieces being viable is in portions of the former USSR or in western nations. In the ME, Africa, SW Asia, they're too valuable as scrap to become pieces or they are too costly to do anything but abandon (like multiple African nation's airports currently hosting mouldering aircraft husks).