View Single Post
Old 12-29-2022, 12:53 PM
This Sourcebook Kills Fascists

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike6 View Post
So Satellite Down isnt a sourcebook? Is that why the quote is being used? I could make a case Pacific Northwest isnt canon because it directly contradicts both the US and American Vehicle Guides. I'm not going to because setting aside the author's error, the PNW module is well written plus the most important part. It was approved by GDWs successor FFE. Despite what you think of Satellite Down, it was published by GDW or FFE or agent of. It is a canonical sourcebook just like PNW. Get over it.
Since you brought it up, I have never claimed that Pacific Northwest is canon (nor, for the record, have I ever asked Marc to declare it as such). I'm mildly interested in your thoughts on how it "contradicts" the US Army Vehicle Guide and the American Combat Vehicle Handbook. I believe the unit histories I wrote for both the 47th ID and the 104th ID are aligned with the capsules presented in those original works. I didn't mention the Montana portion of the 104th's assigned AO when describing its current operations, but that's because Montana was not within the sourcebook's scope.

Also, and not speaking for Raellus here, I usually differentiate between "sourcebook," which focuses primarily on profiling a geographic area or other tools for play, and "module," which focuses primarily on providing the events and script for a defined adventure. While I won't claim that there's a universal lexicon in the RPG publishing industry, that's the terminology I've generally seen used in my circles.

- C.

Author of The Pacific Northwest, coauthor of Tara Romaneasca, creator of several other free Twilight: 2000 and Twilight: 2013 resources, and curator of an intermittent gaming blog.

It rarely takes more than a page to recognize that you're in the presence of someone who can write, but it only takes a sentence to know you're dealing with someone who can't.
- Josh Olson

Last edited by Tegyrius; 12-29-2022 at 01:35 PM.