View Single Post
Old 03-23-2023, 03:39 PM
Your Friendly 92Y20!

March 10, 1998

Nothing official for the day. Unofficially,

As the transportation system breaks down in the Rio Grande Valley in Texas, the first food riots break out in the camps holding recently arrived Mexican refugees. The 3rd Texas Regiment, a state defense force unit formed from part of the Texas A&M Corps of Cadets, is sent in to restore order; its troops are met with gunfire from the heavily armed Mexican gangs which are attempting to assert control in the camps.

As the fighting in Fairbanks continues, the commander of the 147th (my 261st) Motor-Rifle Division makes the decision to preserve his command rather than commit his men to further slaughter as American paratroops and combat engineers blast them out of the tunnels and shattered buildings of the University of Alaska campus. Preparations are begun for a breakout.

With food stocks aboard dwindling, the master of the Danish containership Susan Mae, anchored in Long Island Sound, sends a team ashore to obtain supplies.

The USS Virginia departs Bahamian waters after taking aboard a dozen shipwrecked American sailors, both Navy and civilian Merchant Marines.
I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...