View Single Post
Old 01-21-2010, 08:06 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13

TiggerCCW UK 04-04-2003, 01:57 AM If I could afford the tickets they would be. Unfortunately there isn't a lot of money to be made in my chosen career - professional catcher of 'the faerie folk'

In all seriousness, if any of you get the chance to come this way, do - its a great place.

Harold Mayo 04-04-2003, 08:04 AM Things that I know about Ireland:

1. Everyone eats potatoes

2. Everyone drinks excessively

3. If you don't pay your taxes, the IRA blows you up instead of auditing you like they do here in the US

4. More fairies per capita than San Francisco

5. No snakes

6. I like the word "shillelagh"

7. All of their music sounds like Enya

8. Everyone wears kilts

9. Everyone smells good because of the green and white soap that they use. They've FINALLY got another scent in blue and white soap, too.

10. Women with Irish accents are hot

That's about all I know about Ireland.

S.Kruger 04-04-2003, 07:55 PM Originally posted by Harold Mayo

10. Women with Irish accents are hot

[/B]

Oh god yes.

TiggerCCW UK 04-05-2003, 02:50 AM I know they are - why do you think I came home from the US?

On a side note Graebarde, I heard on the news last night that Dubya Bush is coming over next week for a visit. He didn't ask me for a ticket

graebarde 04-06-2003, 07:38 PM "On a side note Graebarde, I heard on the news last night that Dubya Bush is coming over next week for a visit. He didn't ask me for a ticket"

Tigg THATS why I need someone to send me a ticket.. I have to PAY for HIS and his enteroughe ... ah group.. LOL

TiggerCCW UK 04-07-2003, 05:29 AM And if he brings as many as Clinton did it'll be a hell of a group. On a side note, hopefully the Secret Service will have been briefed to be a bit more sensitive this time. According to rumour during the first Clinton visit a Secret Service agent had his jaw broken by an RUC officer for making some very insensitive remarks about terrorism here - to an officer who had lost both his father and brother to terrorists.

pmulcahy 04-08-2003, 01:47 AM All I know about Ireland is that I got the Irish complexion from my father's side of the family, which means that I burn to a crisp in 15 minutes. I lived in Hawaii for 5 years when I was a teenager and never got a tan!

Rusty 04-15-2003, 09:15 AM sorry, for my late reply, i've been afk for almost 1 month now. The question was just to enlighten my knowledge about the usage of firearms in US, because 99% of the info coming to me is politically colored, either pro or con US. I use this info on my coming t2k game on US, thanks for help.

I can shoot 12/12 bullets on man sized target from 150 meters, and i consider myself a somewhat averagely skilled grunt. It's just the thing that automatic weapons are really a taboo in Finland, if you are lucky you can try LMG or HMG(or even a LAW if you are really lucky) when in army, but most of us use AK clone, shooting 200-800 bullets in year most on semiauto.

The idea of someone packing a gun in civil is out of question. I've been in private security firm for 1 years now and i have seen 3 knives and 1 screwdriver.

dawg180 04-15-2003, 10:17 AM DOn't misunderstand, fully automatic weapons are illegal in the U.S. except under VERy special circumstanaces, mostly weapons collectors who have a special license. With the exception of one event in the State of Tenessee, there is not even anywhere you could fire an automatic weapon without getting arrested.

Even though civilians can own M16s and AK-47s, they are "civilianized" semiauto only versions, and usually have been manufactured ina way to make it very difficult to convert.

Dawg

TiggerCCW UK 04-16-2003, 04:02 AM Converting weapons from semiauto to auto. I can remember hearing how that could be done to an SLR with a match. On a side note a number of semiauto to auto conversions have shown up during the troubles here. I can remember seeing one in a book where an M1911A1 was converted into a machine pistol.

dawg180 04-16-2003, 08:37 AM To be honest, quite a few weapons can be converted to full auto (not selectable of course) if you understand the mechanics o fhow their trigger mehcanism operates (which I will not go into here- we'll keep this nice and legal) I remeber reading that for a while a lot of street gangs in LA were using modified Glocks that were full auto- all you needed was a small piece of sheet metal and a tool to grind away some plastic on the back.

TiggerCCW UK 04-16-2003, 09:26 AM Have we a gunsmith for the party? I know that the Tec-9 was meant to be very easy to convert to full auto, and I've heard the same about the AR-15

dawg180 04-16-2003, 10:15 AM Preban M16s are a peice of cake to convert to full auto- all you have to do is install the proper sear. I have some minor abilities in gunsmithing, at least enough to replace broken springs, extractors, install target triggers, etc. Of course, if you want a nice button-rifled barrel from a blank, that is a bit beond my abilities...

TiggerCCW UK 04-16-2003, 01:07 PM We're getting more well rounded by the minute! We've got medics, a demo's expert, a gunsmith, shooters, drivers. Anyone any good on heavy weapons?

El Tee 04-16-2003, 01:57 PM As I mentioned in my earlier post, I'd be of some use in helping wrench on a broken vehicle, or working on the electronics if necessary. My skills with computers or analysis on stocks, bonds and legal matters would likely not come in handy at all.

A gunsmith would be imminently valuable, so we could have an expert to work with all the "toys" we find along the way.

Depending on where my wife would be, I suppose she could be of some use, as she was/is a trained paramedic. She's also a decent shot with a pistol, and as she was raised a military brat, it's possible she would have gone into the military as well.

TiggerCCW UK 04-16-2003, 02:27 PM Are there any more fighting spouse's out there? My own wife was an archery instructor in the States at the same time as I was teaching shooting out there, and she's a first aider.

On a side note, does antone know about the availability of buses in the post apocalyptic world - its looking like we might need one to fit us all in

MJGRIFF 04-16-2003, 03:53 PM I've got quite a bit of experience in heavy weapons. I was a 90mm gunner for a while, I've worked with TOWs, 25mm Bushmasters, Mark 19s, Mortars, M2 .50s, ofcourse my "baby" the M203, RPGs, Dragons (which suck!!!!), Carl Gustav RR, and bit more. So if y'all need a Hvy. Wpns. fella, I can help ya'.

I also have some Armorer expierince, but I no Gunsmith.

Sua Sponte

Griff

El Tee 04-16-2003, 04:47 PM Originally posted by MJGRIFF

I've got quite a bit of experience in heavy weapons. I was a 90mm gunner for a while, I've worked with TOWs, 25mm Bushmasters, Mark 19s, Mortars, M2 .50s, ofcourse my "baby" the M203, RPGs, Dragons (which suck!!!!), Carl Gustav RR, and bit more. So if y'all need a Hvy. Wpns. fella, I can help ya'.

I also have some Armorer expierince, but I no Gunsmith.

Sua Sponte

Griff

Alright, Griff's in my squad.

Based on this and what else I know about him, he'd be a good man to have around.

Speaking of "unit" composition, who would be the CO, officers, NCOs?

I find it hard to believe that as a "lowly" First Lieutenant, I'd be the ranking officer, but I've had t2k campaigns where there were nothing but NCOs.

This thread is developing quite nicely, I might add. I hadn't been on the forums in awhile and am just catching up on my posts.

El Tee 04-16-2003, 04:51 PM In t2k, I'd probably either be in Europe or Korea, more likely the latter due to my language skills. Were I stateside, I'd be part of the forces fighting the Mexican Army out west.

TiggerCCW UK 04-16-2003, 04:53 PM As far as rank goes, I only ever made lance jack in the cadets. I always pictured myself as the long serving low ranking cynic who's seen it all.

TiggerCCW UK 04-16-2003, 04:55 PM I was also permanently the rear guard of my section - I just seemed to master the art of moving backwards silently.

dawg180 04-16-2003, 04:58 PM MJGRIFF,

Why do Dragons suck? I have heard the MK19 is by far the coolest weapon in the world to fire (well, at least according to the 2 marines and one army friend I have).

Webstral 04-16-2003, 05:51 PM Lots of useful skills out there! It seems like we would do reasonably well, provided that b***h Fate didn't mess with us too badly.

I was a combat engineer before Officer Candidate School, and MI thereafter. I'm not sure how useful the latter would be, although a party always needs a guy who's fixated on gathering information. Combat engineering would probably pay my way, though.

I've also been a carpenter, and I've got a library on alternate energy and building materials. How much of it I could remember in the field is anyone's guess. Still, building rammed earth structures (70% sand, 30% clay is the ideal mix) is hardly rocket science. When concrete for fortifications grows scarce, rammed earth would make a good substitute. And it's just fine for dwellings in places where the ground doesn't freeze. You can make an S-rotor windmill from a 55-gallon drum cut in half.

I've spent a fair amount of time as cadre at Huachuca, so could probably do the drill sergeant thing in a pinch. This would be more valuable to a community than a party, but the party might need to pay its way in a community some day.

You guys who have done gardening should keep those skills in mind. With metal tools and knowledge of composting, you're way ahead of the average farmer in the Dark Ages. Just knowing that nitrogen is often the most limiting factor in plant growth can make the difference between a good harvest and a poor one.

Who's taken some courses on basic nutrition? Don't laugh. Knowing what kinds of food people need to eat would be hugely valuable in T2k. Americans eat like crap. In the post-nuke world, it will only get worse. There will be fewer Twinkies around, but diets are likely to get very monotonous. This will badly affect people's energy levels and mental abilities. A party that eats well survives, and I don't just mean eating quantities. The same can be said of a community.

Now that I think about it, I'd be a mixed blessing for a party. I'd always be agitating to settle down somewhere and make a go of it with a community. Characters who listened to me probably wouldn't get to Germany and make the boat at Bremerhaven. Still, there's nothing wrong with going local so long as the pay is decent and the food is hot, eh? And Krakow always needs the troops.

Webstral

El Tee 04-16-2003, 07:19 PM Based on the "yourself as a character" web page, with some considerations based on opinion

STR - 6 - I can hold a 65 lb. dumbbell out to one side for awhile, usually work out with the 30 to 35 lb. free weights

AGL - 6 - Played high school football, baseball and track; played some college baseball for a year before I just didn't have time for it

CON - 7 - rarely get sick, never had a serious disease, work out regularly each week (jogging, cardio & free weights)

INT - 8 - Highest score was 1460 on SAT, received above 700 on SAT2/acheivements

EDU - 8 - BS in Computer Science, work on MS in Computer Science, MBA

CHA - 7 - Personable, talk to others constantly (part of my job), frequently have to speak at meetings, conferences and seminars.

Skills:

Admin/Legal - 5 (military experience, job)

Armed Martial Arts - 1 (military)

Biology - 1 (college courses)

Business - 7 (college, current job)

Carpenter - 2 (assemble furniture around the house, build some items myself)

Chemistry - 1 (college)

Cooking - 4

Computer - 7 (college, current job, some military)

Cryptography - 3 (military)

Dance - 1 (college, occasional social outing)

Fishing - 2 (recreational activity)

Foraging - 2 (boy scouts mostly, some camping)

Grenade Launcher - 1 (military)

Ground Vehicle (Tracked) - 1 (military)

Ground Vehicle (Wheeled) - 6 (every day in commute, SCCA member as well)

Instruction - 4 (military, job)

Interrogation - 4 (military, job)

Language (Chinese) - 8 (second language, military)

Language (English) - 10 (Who needs English? I'm never going to England!)

Language (Spanish) - 2 (Four years of Spanish in high school, including AP)

Leadership - 4 (military, job)

Mechanic - 2 (worked on cars in college, can do most maintenance on our cars @ brother-in-law's shop)

Music (Piano) - 3 (have played since I was a child; still play for relaxation and for social gatherings)

Observation - 3

Persuasion - 5

Physics - 1 (college)

Psychology - 3 (college. job)

Research - 4 (job)

Scrounging - 2

Small Arms (Rifle) - 4 (military)

Small Arms (Pistol) - 4 (military, target shooting)

Swimming - 3

Tactics - 3

Thrown Weapon - 3

Unarmed Martial Arts - 3

I'd think some of the skills would be higher or lower depending on what happened during the course of the war, but I tried to be as fair as possible.

A lot of the skills are more or less worthless in t2k, but I have a good balance of skills, IMO. I'll update the list if I can think of anything new or if I have any changes that would be pertinent.

ReHerakhte 04-16-2003, 11:32 PM Hmm, I've missed putting my 50cents worth in regards to heavy weapons but I'll barge right along anyway...

Looks like I might end up partnering with MJGRIFF for a bit of the time as I trained up on the Carl Gustav recoilless & LAW rockets as well as doing Sustained Fire Machine Gun, a very tiny bit of mortar work and the usual M79, M203, Claymore, hand grenades stuff. Had some training in laying, searching & removing mines and laying out minefields. Also done some training on the M1919 and M2 MGs from my time in armoured recce (with M113s) and some basic work on the Scorpion 76mm gun (as used, turret and all, on Aussie M113s for fire support).

However, a lot of my time was spent in grunt work and light vehicle/foot recce work but includes mech infantry and urban warfare operations.

As for civilian skills, I work in a laboratory doing analysis on mining companies samples so I get a lot of dangerous goods work regarding chemicals and soil samples (e.g. quarantine work, chemical protective uniforms, bulk chemical handling, poisonous goods - I use a bit of cyanide! - and so on). Plus through the industry I got some very, very basic familarity with civvy explosives. I'm a bit of an armoured vehicle freak so I might come in useful for identifying the lumbering metal hulk shortly before it grinds me to paste. And on top of that I'm a bit of a military weapons freak but I suspect that a few others have that position already filled -- not mentioning anyone in particular TR!

Done some reloading for my own rifles, got the typical first aid training from the army and through work.

Done a bit of small boats stuff (about 8 years ago though) and a lot of rock climbing & caving for hobbies.

I have relatives involved in farming so I have a little bit of animal handling skill (I can tell what kind of animal just bit me!)

Cheers,

Kevin.

MJGRIFF 04-17-2003, 03:55 PM All right another Grunt Scout!!! I'm willin' and able to team up with Big R, we've got a similiar background (and he probably knows a few hot Aussie ladies!!! ) except for the Civvy occupation, all my Chem & Bio stuff was through the Service, but I used to be the NBC NCO for awhile, and I've been in the Live Chamber a couple of times (not the greatest days of my life I tell ya' ).

Sua Sponte

Griff

MJGRIFF 04-17-2003, 04:04 PM To Dawg 180- The Dragons suck for the simple reasons of

1: They are heavy as hell

2: They often go 'haywire' at the slightest twitch

3: They don't have decent range

4: They are heavy as hell

5: They are slow as hell

6: They have a HUGE signiture when fired

7: They don't have decent "punch"

8:Oh did I mention, for all those reasons above, they're HEAVY AS HELL!!!!

Now the Mark 19.....ahhhh.....how sweet it is!!!

Yes it is a very 'choice' weapon system, and best of all I don't have to 'hump' it!!!!

Sua Sponte

Griff

TiggerCCW UK 04-21-2003, 04:54 AM So you're saying that the Dragon is heavy?

Anyone got any alternatives to the Dragon?

pmulcahy 04-21-2003, 05:03 AM I have mixed feelings about the Dragon.

1) They are heavy -- I've had to hump them, including in hot weather with a flu, fever, over terrain, with MOPP gear on. (Of course, this was a properly weighted Dragon dummy, but the weight is the same).

2) The controls are twitchy, and unintentional grounding is a big problem.

3) I've seen a live one bounce off an old M-48 tank used as a target.

4) The sight's lenses have no coating to prevent shine in the sun, thus alerting the enemy to your presence.

But...

5) I saw one trash an Iraqi BMP-1 in northern Kuwait, shot by one of 2nd squad's gunners.

Therefore, mixed feelings. And the Javelin is heavier, I believe.

TiggerCCW UK 04-21-2003, 05:14 AM Is the Javelin a lot more effective than The Dragon? If it is it could be well worth the weight, but on the other hand, are we going to run into much in the way of heavy armour in WW3 Poland? I don't think I ever carried anything heavier than a LAW when I was a player, and in all my campaigns I have very few vehicles rolling about anyway.

MJGRIFF 04-26-2003, 01:27 PM Yes the JAVELIN is better weapon than the Dragon, by about a factor of ten, and even then I might be a little conservative. And it does wieght more, but is the weapon system hits what it's supposed to, and kills what it's supposed to, and within my carrying capabilities, then yup', I'll hump that bugger!!!! Well that is until I can steal a vechile and stow it!!!

Sua Sponte

Griff

El Tee 04-28-2003, 03:59 PM Looking through some of my notes for an upcoming campaign, I realize there is still some need to have adequate chem/bio protection, so I'd bring along chem/bio gear and stow it in one of the vehicles.

While it's not likely that chem/bio attacks would be common occurence, it's still a good idea to be prepared. Who knows if Mr. Murphy is going to be along on our little adventure.

MJGRIFF 04-28-2003, 09:33 PM Oh I can garunteeega-run-teee it!!! He's an old "friend" of mine!!! I know he won't want to miss this kind of opportunity!

Sau Sponte

Griff

TiggerCCW UK 05-02-2003, 04:17 AM Murphy turn up in a party with an Ulsterman? What are the chances? Anyone any vehicle preferences for our group?

dawg180 05-02-2003, 09:05 AM If we have a mechanic that can put offroad suspension on my Ford Mustang, I'll volunteer it!

....hmm, maybe that is more Mad Max than T2K, eh?

El Tee 05-02-2003, 01:27 PM Originally posted by dawg180

If we have a mechanic that can put offroad suspension on my Ford Mustang, I'll volunteer it!

....hmm, maybe that is more Mad Max than T2K, eh?

I've seen a Fox-body (88-93?) Mustang with the raised truck suspensions (culled from a Ranger, I'd guess). I wonder how one would get into the car, given the 24" of step in height to the doorsill.

Given my choice, I'd opt for the group to have a Hummer or two, depending on the size of the party. Good flexibility, fair fuel economy, and while not heavily armored, it doesn't require the maintenance of an AFV.

As far as civilian vehicles go, I'd choose a Toyota Land Cruiser or something along those lines; a large, go-anywhere vehicle with light maintenance and remarkable reliability and durability.

And it'd be hard to justify keeping an Abrams MBT, if we were to have one to begin with; the fuel consumption alone would make it impractical - we'd need several Hummers with stills running a supply train behind it, and would be spending a lot of time stopped, distilling fuel.

Good point about vehicles. Anyone else have an opinion?

dawg180 05-02-2003, 04:12 PM If it was in the U.S., I would go with Jeep Wranglers and Cherokees (or Libertys as the new model is called). Decent offroad performance, decent gas mileage, easy to find spare parts. Besides, it shouldn't be too hard to make field expedient pintles for Wranglers.