View Single Post
Old 11-21-2010, 12:19 AM
Registered Registrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by natehale1971 View Post
Socio-Political aspect? I don't see how reestablishing a constitutional republic is either to far to the right or the left. It's a building block that created the American republic... a Republic that has become the world's superpower in just a hundred and fifty years. The constitution has inspired other nations constitution's as well. It's something that EVERYONE can read and see that those ideals are universal. Ask the people who are immigrating here why they're coming... it's because of the American Dream that ANYONE can become the next big thing.

I'm sorry if you think that's chauvinistic. But it's not. I've talked to to many immigrants to this country (both legal and not) who said they came here for the opportunities that our Republic provided.

The Morrow Project was focused on the USA, but the Atlantis Project was focused on the rest of the world. So if the game seems too centred on the USA... well, it was set in a shattered USA in a post-TEOTWAWKI. And they didn't describe what happened to the rest of the world in the main book or other sourcebooks.

The reason why T2013 failed to catch on was many. Not the fact it was focused so heavily on the USA market.

Actually the module stressed that Bruce DID NOT want Prime Base. That he was overruled by CoT when he was away and when he returned the base was already under construction and couldn't be stopped. Bruce E. Morrow wanted a decentralized command and control that would have been based on regional command bases.
Nothing to do with chauvinism, everything to do with the fact that I am not from the USA and I like the game as it is in 3rd edition and I don't see a need to use the US constitution as a goad to make people join the Project. I couldn't give a rat's arse if it was the building block of anything or nothing, my aim with the game is to have fun and in the end, any deep philosophical or socio-political aspect is irrelevant because many players don't actually pay it that much attention.
And I'll say it again, those of us who aren't from the US, don't necessarily want to be playing games were the PCs are Americans saving America. We don't actually care about real world politics in games and some of us prefer not to have it so obvious.
Publish the Atlantis Project and this won't ever be an issue.

In regards to 2013, I think you should actually ask people not from the US what they thought of it. Too many gun books, too little about the rest of the world is a comment I hear often and that can easily be seen based on the products actually released. I base my statement on having spoken to gamers from Australia, Singapore, New Zealand, South Africa, Canada, the UK, Ireland, Germany and Israel who all reiterated the same thing - I might be interested if it wasn't so focused on America.