Thread: Navy Links
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2021, 10:00 AM
Your Friendly 92Y20!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raellus View Post
Good point, but some of the older vessels on the rolls would likely have been retired nonetheless. What would be really helpful is a gov't document from pre-'89 or '90 where the USN forecast which vessels it was planning on retiring in the near future. Vessels on that list probably would have been decommissioned (or transferred, sold, mothballed, scrapped, or used as targets) before the Twilight War started.

Once the Soviet Union invaded China, I reckon the Pentagon would probably postpone any ship retirement plans (and, once the USA is at war, reactivate any vessels it was practical to do so).

-
I was able to get to my deep file storage last night and found some of those documents you mentioned above. They are not pristine since I jotted notes on them back in the day! It looks like they only put out a five-year plan, so what the mid-late 90s would have looked like in a continued Cold War will need more digging.

The FY 88-92 shipbuilding plan is here.
The FY 87 aircraft procurement plan is here.
A list from the early-mid 90s of ships that the Navy still had but had identified for disposal is here. A lot of interesting ships on there that you wouldn't be aware of otherwise!
I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...