Thread: Twilight 2025
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2021, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3catcircus View Post
It's not really that simple.

For example, the very first timeline item involving significant military action in both 1e and 2e is typically border clashes between Soviet and Chinese forces in 1995, five years before the "current" time of 2000. Canon sources indicate 17 Jun 1995.

Advance that for a TW:2025 setting, and we're talking right in the middle of 2020.

Fast-forward time to use that timeline in a future campaign, and one would reasonably decide that it should be China and India instead of Russia and China, considering that on 15-20 Jun of last year, 20+ Indian troops died in fighting with Chinese soldiers in the Ladakh region.

I think it only really works if you advance the fighting parts of the timeline ahead of current events. But what would be the impetus for former Pact countries and former Soviet states to get cozy, let alone east/west German sentiments?
You're right about India and China. The other "flashpoints" COULD be:
1) NK and SK... drawing China and Russia in on NK's side.
2) Iran and the US having China and Russia side with the Iranians and Saudi Arabia and The Emirates siding with the US.
3) Lebanon and Isreal with Syria and Iran drawing Russia and China into the conflict with the US.
4) Russia attacking The Ukraine with a delayed US intervention causing "the Bear" to decide it's ok to invade the Baltic states too and Belarus supporting operations on Polish soil.

I don't like the 4 or 5-year timeline for the war. Show me ONE conflict since the First Gulf War that didn't escalate and hit its peak in just MONTHS. True the War on Terror has been going on for a couple of decades AS AN OCCUPATION AND NATION BUILDING OPERATION but how long did the high-tempo military operations last? Just a couple of months. This tells me that IF you had India and China or NK and SK at war, the war would escalate to tactical nukes before the first year is over.

For a Twilight scenario, this is a good thing. Why? Because it justifies dusting off the older tech since nobody had time to build up their economy to a "wartime" production state. In essence, the war is a "come as you are war"... which favors Russia and China.