View Single Post
Old 10-11-2008, 03:31 PM

Default EMP's. The quick way to the 19th century

Bona nit Mohoender!

Ok! You have convinced me. I will cross the Pirinees at the first sign of EMP.
I have been reading a little about the EMP's since your post and I think you have reason. The Twilight devastating EMP effect over all the electronic parts seems completely justified. Rumors says that Russians have an specific unit dedicated to it. Ssssssshhhhtttt.... But I see a weak point in the last half of your post. The EMP generates an inductive current in all electrical and electronic circuits. This current induced in the conductor materials implies fatal consequences for the electronic parts, which are specifically designed to work with very low voltages and currents. But this current is induced no matter if the component is online or offline. Basically, the conductors would be working as an antenna, their electrons in phase with the wave of the electronic pulse, which is, basically, an electromagnetic wave of great power and short duration. So, your old computers in storage will be fried anyway, I think.
And it seems that shielding a component against an EMP is not an easy matter. You must close the the component in a metallic enclosure with an outstanding ground wire (not sure about this concept in English). Because the generated wave can cause a differential of voltage of thousands of volts per meter, generating currents accordingly.
And don't lost it! A lone, high altitude, nuclear detonation of 1 Megaton, 500Km over the center of USA, Europe or Russia could destroy great part of the electronics... So, welcome to the 19th century (with people of the 21th)...

Ah! The links seems interesting. I will take them a look today.

Arreveure!