View Single Post
Old 02-18-2021, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteelCynic View Post
I had a similar experience to you - decades ago, the owner of my favourite game store decided he wanted a library of every game product that ever came into the store.
Unfortunately for him, his library management abilities didn't match his ambitions.
Fortunately for me, that meant that he had multiple copies of various products "in the library" for who knows what reason.

Some of them were issues of Challenge that I had not been able to get and more rational minds at the store put those multiple copies up for sale at really good prices. Due to that, I was able to complete my collection of Challenge because as much as I appreciate having all the T2k, Dark Conspiracy and 2300 AD material with their associated articles from Challenge on CD-ROM, I really like having physical copies of the magazine!
Yeah, physical copies are great. Despite very good intentions, scanned items can be pretty hit-and-miss, even so-called professional scans. The best books, IMO, are the 1e AD&D books (Dungeon Masters Guide, Monster Manual, Players Handbook and Unearthed Arcana) because they re-typeset those books for deluxe versions. They did the same re-typesetting for Original D&D so those scanned versions are great, too. But then you look at some of the outlying supplements for 2e and it's like...u wot m8? They look like they were done on a U-Max flat-bed SCSI scanner which can only do 4800dpi, hanging off the back of a WindowsME machine. So having even a tattered physical copy is preferable in those cases. FFE has done a pretty good job with many of their scanned materials, fortunately, but I don't own their compilation CD so I can't speak to the overall quality.

Maybe I'll buy it and do a review on my livestream.