View Single Post
Old 10-07-2010, 11:53 PM

During my all-too-extended stint at Huachuca, I was XO of B/326 for a time. B/326 is the parent company for the Military Intelligence Officer Basic Course. A lot female lieutenants came through from all three primary sources (West Point, ROTC, and OCS). The ROTC women mostly pooh-poohed the idea that they might be subjected to combat. Somehow, they got through the Korea portion of the course without understanding that the NKs were frothing at the mouth to get their commandos into the rear to attack soft targets--them. A few ROTC women understood this, and I respected them. The West Pointers didn't like this idea, since they had signed onto MI for the intellectual virtues, not the rifle(wo)man opportunities. To their credit, the West Pointers seemed to get it after the Korea portion of the class. The OCS women, who had had to suffer through 90 days with the unwashed gentlemen of the combat arms, didn't need to be told that they might have to fight for their lives at some point. Of course, these are all generalizations. I could tell much more individualized stories, but I have saved much of that for my own writing.

Webstral