View Single Post
Old 07-27-2018, 12:41 PM

I have been using a modified version of Initiative Generation where you add AGL, INT, and a roll together and consult a chart like the one below (I made this for V2 as I use V2.2 and its 1D20 roll).

AGL, INT & 1D10 Roll = Initiative Score
03 to 05 = 1 Initiative
06 to 10 = 2 Initiative
11 to 15 = 3 Initiative
16 to 22 = 4 Initiative
23 to 27 = 5 Initiative
28 to 30 = 6 Initiative

You can obviously make your own chart but I would recommend one where the scale favors higher Initiatives as that score is very important during play. Even with repetitive actions, characters with a very low score are essentially "dead men walking" in combat.

You can also "randomized initiative" by rolling 1D6 each round and adding the player's initiative to that score. You then DIVIDE the aggregate score by TWO (always rounding up) to give you a randomized number from 1 to 6 BUT favoring higher Initiatives.

One other thing you may find during play is the "Flash character." This character has an initiative of 6 or even 7 and ALWAYS ACTS FIRST. Following the RAW rules, he will often get 5 shots and can eliminate an entire enemy patrol BY HIMSELF if you play RAW Initiative BTB.

The "cure" for this is to treat each INITIATIVE STEP as a "mini-round" where EVERYONE who can act does something (either ONE attack, a move, or other action). This means that "The Flash" will be exchanging fire with the opposition on a Step by Step basis instead of all of his fire taking place on Step 6 (or 7). I keep track of who can act when by giving my players chips (bullets, poker chips or even checkers pieces can work here). Each time someone acts, they surrender a chip. Forced Hesitations (from suppression & wounding) also require the surrender of a chip. When you run out of chips, you run out of actions. I would also consider each INITIATIVE STEP as about 1 SECOND'S worth of activity for keeping track of timers and hand grenade fuse delays.

For more options on initiative, search for Admiral Lee's thread "Thoughts on Initiative." There are other forum members thoughts on Initiative located there.