View Single Post
Old 09-20-2018, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olefin View Post
Actually the one issue with the Twilight Timeline is that frankly the line of succession part of it is completely and totally wrong. First off the Secret Service would have never allowed the Vice President to stay in the White House with an incoming nuke - they would have knocked her out and carried her out if they had to. Second in a time of war there is no way that the third in line to the presidency would have been allowed to be out of touch in any way - especially after the nukes started flying in Europe and Asia.

And third and the biggest of all - as anyone who has seen Battlestar Galactica knows - there is a long line of people who can assume the Presidency - thus there is no way that there would have been no President - it would take a nuclear attack that would have basically killed off 99 percent of the population to get to that point
Two things first I agree with you about the Secret Service, but kind of sort of disagree about the line of succession. In the real world it is only eighteen people long (or 17 right now as one is not a natural born), where as in Battlestar Galactica she was 43rd. We run out of official candidates at 18 if they are all filled, and even though they would not likely let the top 3/4 of them be round the same place I could very easily see lots of them in just a couple locations. Just thinking to a couple of episodes of Madam Secretary that I have seen they have had the President and something like five or six of the Secretaries, if this was to happen at the same time that they were having a joint meeting of the House and Senate the VP would be there and I may be wrong but I do not see either of these being objected to. Taking out these two locations would take out around 10 of the 18 maybe one or two more. Then losing the other six to eight with all the nukes going off would not be that hard to think could happen. But if you do not get them all then I would expect the line to be refilled in very short order.