View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 11:23 PM
Ginger Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targan View Post
I wonder if having soft items like bags and rucks hanging over reactive armor blocks would affect the reliability/effectiveness of the reactive armor. Obviously if a block detonated it would shred soft items on top of it.
Yes, actually you are not supposed to store gear externally on the sides of tracks (APCS/TANKS) if they have had reactive armor blocks installed on them. It negatively impacts performance.

On another note, I'm curious how this thread has completely overlooked the wide spread use of "Gun Trucks" in vietnam. There was a little info in the article, but there is as much variation as there is imagination. I agree with the opinion that they are "come as you are" designs. Have done two tours in Iraq, once when we were doing a large amount of custom fabrication and once when all our armor was actually manufactured as part of the vehicle with the new M1114 series of HMMV hitting the sand.

Let's not ignore the down side of slapping several thousand pounds of steel onto a chassis that wasn't meant to carry it....1) Mechanical Breakdowns increase as stress is placed on the suspension and drive train. 2) You are putting more pounds per square inch on the same wheeled footprint. This has the effect of hampering cross country movement and increase the chances of getting stuck in softer terrain.