View Single Post
Old 08-10-2009, 08:24 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog 6 View Post
Well lets see where should I start? I guess I'll start at the "shot down" part

all of NATO/US troops had by 1996 irl Patriot missile's and software upgrades to IHAWK to allow them to shoot down incoming warheads, with the IHAWK it would be a very close call. you only had at the most 30 seconds of engagement time.

as for the 20KT bomb on a tank battalion, well there is a lot to say, so I'll only cover some of the basics. a very good depiction of a 20 KT bomb on a tank unit can be found in the book "Vortex" by Larry bond just keep in mind that unit was not ready for NBC warfare. FM 3-4,FM 3-6,FM 3-7,FM 3-14 and a host of others can enlighten. after the 1st day of nukes popping off all army's in the world know to increase spacing by 4-5 times,( eg; tanks 200m apart are now 800-1000m apart) the kill zone/blast radius for tank/afv's is small on even 500kt bombs. ( a few square miles) this should help: http://www.nukefix.org/weapon.html

that's all I can think of off the top of my head. hope it helps.
As far as these parts of canon (very successful tac nukes and entire units getting destroyed) I can go with them and understand it the DC group does as well. These things are certainly in a 10% likelihood area. Units could have been caught in a marshaling area and the Sovs could have come up with some creative jamming for example. This would be the first tactical use of nukes and I am sure the next generation Field Manuals would have even better recommendations as it really is a new type of warfare. Again I feel the US would have probably done better than the Sovs in catching gathered units (due to things like J-Stars), but if Canon or the DC group keeps things even I can consider that plausible.

All the ships being destroyed however is hard for me to put in that 10% area of likelihood. That really is the problem the DC group has, balancing realism and canon. I want them to keep close to canon but if too many things fall out of the 10% likelihood I accept them tweaking things towards realism. If the Mexican invasion is radically changed to make it more likely to be successful I'm ok with that. No (or a significantly modified) Division Cuba also makes sense. The Alaskan invasion being more of a disaster for the sovs. 60 ships instead of 9. All of these things IMO are within the realm of the plausible rather than canon which while technically within the realm of the possible are difficult to resolve with real world facts.

A while back I had a two hour phone conversation with LAW. He discussed laboring over over how to kill off as many ships as he considered plausible. Always erring in the direction of canon. At a minimum I think we can agree that some US Boomers (which at the time had never been successfully tracked by the USSR) would have in all likelihood survived.

Just as with anything in the game if you don't like the details change them. We all have been doing that since we began gaming.

Last edited by kato13; 08-10-2009 at 09:15 PM.