View Single Post
Old 04-27-2009, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targan
I think the most appropriate symbols (for T2K) would be those used by NATO, pre-1997. I'm sure Eddie knows what he is talking about for the US military circa right now but modern US symbology isn't necessarily what is most appropriate for this discussion.
The only flaw in your logic is that I joined in 1996 and this methodology had been around for a while. I'm pretty knowledgeable about military things. Past and present. I had to sit through many lectures and seminars in BLDG Snore at Ft. Benning.

APP-6 was the NATO standard for map symbology in 1985. the US used a MIL-STD-2525 or something though. Basically, we updated our's every couple of years, while NATO stagnated. They didn't update theirs until 2000 or something (give or take a year or two). In that time, we had like six updates, with there being no real changes since 1989 or something like that.
While NATO was using the same symbol, just colored red, the US was transitioning to the diamonds.

That said, Kato is going for a T2K feel. I perfectly understand that and don't fault him for that.