Thread: M551A2 Sheridan
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2009, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChalkLine View Post
- It takes 20 seconds to cycle the gun. The breech is locked, purges, and slowly opens. It's all automated, so there's nothing you can do about it to hurry it up.
That's not why I'd remove the missile system. To my understanding, the gun/launcher was severely flawed. Firing a missile badly fouled the barrel for the shells. Firing a shell often knocked the missile targeting system out of alignment, making it useless. Given a choice, I'd rather fire shells than missiles.

Quote:
- The 152mm rounds destroy the barrel after 200 shots.
Didn't know this. However, I think it's worth asking how many M551's will last long enough to fire 200 shells, uparmored or not, on a T2K battlefield.

Quote:
- The floatation system was removed in 1979, only the screen remains
This is something I'd want to put back on. More than added armor, more than a new gun.

Quote:
- As it stands, it cannot survive strikes from a 30mm autocannon, the minimum required to be a useful recon vehicle.
I doubt if such a requirement would be observed in the desperate situation of the later years of the Twilight War, nor would the expense (materials, labor, time) likely be considered worth it by the Army, who would be desperate to field as many AFVs as quickly as possible.

http://copeab.tripod.com