View Single Post
Old 03-24-2017, 02:05 PM
Internet Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by .45cultist View Post
I was thinking of raising the division to WWI levels, .45 M1911's and S&W M1917 revolvers, either the more robust M1894 .30-30 or M1903 rifles. The M2HB soldiers on and perhaps a copy of the M1919 variants. Khaki uniforms and Sam Brown belts, Patton swords and M1910 cav gear. But with the TNG armor, one could add more tanks.in reserve in the North. here is an example.
M1917 revolvers are far simpler for a lower tech level to produce than the M1911. The M1911 requires milling machines and highly trained machinists making multiple setups and many, many, cuts. I would stick with the M1903 for the rifle, as the modules Krag-Jorgenson's are mechanically more difficult with the rotary magazine to justify manufacture. Additionally, the M1903 has a three lug bolt (it's a Mauser copy after all) and a much stronger action. I would throw in a twist with M1903s in 7.62 NATO instead of 30.06 since that is the brass and dies the Republic had. Probably would nerf them a bit because of lower quality propellants do drop 2 points off damage.

For uniforms...... I would stick with the blue denim and stetsons for the cavalry... It's Texas and that is all the justification they need. On the other hand..... the WW1 khakis, canvas web gear, and doughboy helmets is perfect for the Infantry and Armor troops of the Republic... justify this by saying patterns came from collectors and museums post war salvage.

As for a machinegun... going with the BAR for everyone with the exception of the M1 and M2 coaxial MGs. That the Republic does not have the tooling or equipment to make disintegrating link belts, thus all such are hoarded for the tanks and IFVs.

Grenades...... German potato mashers.. the complicated fuses of even the MK1 pineapple or british Mills bomb are out of the Republics reach. The friction pull igniter is not. Therefore, Republic grenades are the wooden handle variety with HE, Frag, and smoke being most common with a large demo variety and a 2kg charge for Engineers being uncommon.

Totally Ok with swords, sabers, trench knives, maces, spears, and lances.. though I would suggest working up a quick reference chart for damage based on PC or NPC strength and modifiers against types of armors to keep game play moving.

Anti armor weapons.. none modern. The threat from the Brotherhood comes as a surprise.. the M1s are the only AT defense with infantry or cavalry improvising using HE grenades and demo packs in close defense. TMP members don't have time to teach making mines, pole charges, and rockets, plus there isn't time for the Republic to make them. The Republic is going to make a crash program to make molotovs and ship those to infantry or militia in the defense.

Artillery.... The Republic doesn't seem to have any. We might assume that self propelled and towed versions did not survive the nuke strike on Ft. Hood. Additionally, no mortars... I chalk that up to no pressing need with the highly mobile horse mounted tactics of the Cavalry versus low tech and unsophisticated tactics of previous bandit threats. Something the TMP won't have time to teach and the Republic has no time to build.

Communications....... write it down and send a rider. Everything is worn out, broken, cannabalized, or destroyed. Even phone lines are out without a means to insulate cables.

Fuel..... actually, in abundance. Oils, grease, gasoline, diesel, and solvents in significant quantities...... Distribution is primitive and inefficient. Pipelines are proposed with effort into how to make pipe, valves, and hardwared being researched. The Republic doesn't have significant smelting and casting infrastructure.

Food. Abundant, but primitive. Rations are cooked at field kitchens or field bakeries. Luxurious, nutritious, and wholesome compared to the field rations of centuries before. TMP members will be curious about the hard tack, dried beef, dried vegetables, or fruit of the infantry or cavalry marching rations. The garrison and forward field kitchens produce hot meals twice a day of cereals, soups, stews, and anything else that can be boiled, baked, or fried.