View Single Post
Old 04-30-2020, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteelCynic View Post

Specifically 9x19mm, 5.56mm, 7.62x51mm but as I recall it, only the 7.62 had the energy to penetrate and that was I believe at reasonably close range (somewhere below 300m). So based on that very hazy recollection, I figure you're going to need to get that arrow up to at least 850 m/s (2,800 ft/s) muzzle velocity with at least 3,470 J (2,559 ft⋅lbf) of energy. Black powder is a low explosive, is it going to generate enough force to give any projectile those levels of velocity and energy?
This is interesting, back about twenty years or so now, we had a chance to do a live fire (mock assault breach) with war stock (AP, API and such) for my unit and most of the hard targets we got to shoot at were old M901's. After it was done we were had to go and police up the range where we had been, this gave us time to look at the vehicles. I do not know how long they had been out there, but do know that there was a British unit that went before us (their warriors were just leaving as we showed up). When we looked at the vehicles there was no penetrations that I or anyone I talked with saw. We were using M16A4, M249, M240, and M2HB's. I do not know what the warriors used but as they did not penetrate (we were guessing that the VERY LARGE dents were from their TP ammo) that it was not AP, and no HE was allowed on the range so know it was not that. This makes me wounder, we only shot the sides, my guess was that the front/back would be at least as tough (the door that I know is not solid) looked at least as much. But is it, or did they make changes to the metal of the armor as time went on, so one from 1960 is not a tough as one from 1970? I do not know, but makes me think as you could penetrate with things that we could not.