View Single Post
Old 06-07-2009, 06:40 PM

A couple of years ago at GenCon Indy I talked to a guy who was at the GURPS booth. I can't remember his name off hand, but he said he had conversed with Loren Wiseman. They talked about the nuclear hit list and besides a totally game-world based decision to keep the destruction "limited", there seemed to be a general belief that the early destruction of command and control (i.e. high level executive decision makers) would limit the exchange.

Admittedly, this may be a flawed assumption and the destruction of NECAP is a bit of a stretch, but the creators of 2300AD worked a bit backwards. They knew what kind of RPG they wanted so the finagled the timeline a bit to get there. Frank Chadwick worked for the government doing this same kind of thing for government training simulations.

The Morrow Project too had a game design goal but it was decidedly different from what GDW wanted. Truth be told I had several Morrow supplements but found the premise a bit silly. 150 years in the future but most groups were still using war time vehicles and weapons? Also the mutant animals sort of took the realism factor down a bit.

I agree the hit list for T2K is a bit limited. I usually ad a few targets and I usually have a few city-busters thrown in by a late firing Soviet boomer.

Benjamin