View Single Post
Old 06-08-2009, 08:49 PM

Location: Somewhere in the Eastern U.P. on the edge of Civilization.

It is interesting that the twin Sault Ste. Marie weren't hit on you target maps. With the Soo Locks and amount of Iron Ore that could be transported through them. Even if it started to with the taking out of Military installation initially, as they went out to take out oil refinaries and the like, the Locks would be on a short list too.

During WWII Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan was home 15,000 soldiers, with Germany and Japan not actually have the ability to attack this location, but it was well guarded. Also German POWs were interned in the UP too. The Bases are gone from here, but I would think if there was a war with Russia/Soviet Union this would be one of the target that the US would try to protect. Fort Brady in the Sault, Radar Hill, Raco Air Field, and Kincheloe Air Force Base as well as the Corps of Engineer Locks, and Sault Coast Guard Base are the handful of military installation that were in the area after WWII and sadly now only the Locks and Coast Guard Base are what remains.

As for Maraquette, would that be the city or the K.I. Sawyer AFB. The reason I ask is that Sawyer is like 20 miles from Maraquette, not that their would be on huge forest fire, and Empire mine would be close too. Maraquette does have a loading dock, but it quite small compared to those in Duluth/Superior area.