View Single Post
Old 05-17-2009, 03:34 PM

When feeding my rabbits (now up to three), I have settled on a more-or-less standardized vegetable diet:

1 cup dandelion greens (lots of vitamin A)
1 brussel sprout (they like things that they can gnaw on)
approx 2 tbsp watercress (more vitamin A)
approx 2 tbsp mint
approx 2 tbsp parsley (more vitamin A)
approx 2 tbsp collard greens
1 leaf baby spinach (too much gives rabbits kidney stones)
1-2 pea pods
1-2 basil leaves, plus stems
approx 1 tbsp broccoli stem
approx 1 tsp carrot (root vegetables are treats)
approx 1 tsp celery
1/2 stalk of bok choy, cut lengthwise

It's important for rabbits to get plenty of vitammin A. The staple of their diet, though is orchard grass. Orchard grass is perfectly adequate, and it's inexpensive. (Timothy hay is about 5x as expensive) I can get a bale at the local horse feed outlet for $20. A bale will last about four months. The container for the bale was the most expensive part of going this route. My rabbits will have to live for a number of years to pay the investment off.

For several months, I have been enjoying a rabbit-style salad on the way to work. While I'm prepping the rabbits' breakfast, I fill a tupperware container with the same ingredients. I don't add mint anymore, as this acts as a stool softener for me. I don't eat the broccoli stems, either. When I buy broccoli, I cut the florets for my consumption and mince the stems for my little companions. Since I have started eating my rabbits' breakfast during the morning commute, I have experienced a delightful improvement in my time in the water closet. I'm in and out in about thirty seconds without any straining or unpleasantness. The watercress and dandelion greens are somewhat bitter, and the watercress can be strongly peppery. I've become addicted to the little jolt to my taste buds in the morning. How I will integrate the rabbit breakfast into my routine this summer is an open question.

Completely OT, my newest rabbit, Merlin, is another rescue rabbit. He had a severe maloclusion, and his incisors had to be removed. He has no way to incise hard vegetables, like brussel sprout and carrot. Once he gets a bit into his mouth, he can grind it up with his molars. Leafy greens don't present a problem, although the uneaten bit hangs out of his mouth. I have to cut his hard vegetables into little strips for him. Poor little guy. He's doing well, though.

I have adjusted my family's diet to take advantage of the fact that there are always some kinds of vegetables in the house. We also keep plenty of garlic, scallions, and red onion on-hand. One can do a lot with all of these vegetables. When I occasionally make a root vegetable stew, the rabbits get leftover parsnip, turnip, and rutabaga. It works for everyone. My wife would like more meat in the mix, but that's why God make take-out.

Webstral