View Single Post
Old 01-17-2010, 03:56 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b View Post
Here's a possibility -- is he on our rolls? Maybe he posted the pics to the wrong group by accident.
It is a new person. They only registered, confirmed and posted. The timing pattern looks like a human assist spammer as no unnecessary pages were hit.

As far as I can tell the IP address/Email/Username has never been user for spam or malware. The domain that the links go to must be new and very small as there are fewer than 200 pics on the site. The originating IP of the "spam" was Egypt but the webserver is in the US.

Everything about this is just odd. Spammers usually throw up a dozen flags. My usual rule for deleting them is to check 3 flags (Bad IP, Username and Email address) of the 130 or so spam bots that have registered, only 1 (other than this one) have not had at least 2 of the 3 (and 95% had all). This one has 0 that is what is so vexing. Spam of any type, even to malware sites, is only effective in volume. We are a tiny fish so I don't see why we would be the only site they chose.

Unless a former/current nemesis of mine has appeared (cue dramatic music) just to mess with me .

The more likely explanation is someone is doing a very small test to see how effective spam is, but even then I would expect a 100 sites to be hit not just us.

Edit. Ok I am now seeing others getting hit. I guess somehow we were the first in line. I will ban the user and delete this thread after 24 hours.

Final Diagnosis most likely a Google Ad revenue generator.

I have submitted the email and IP to my spam databases.

Last edited by kato13; 01-17-2010 at 04:09 AM.