View Single Post
Old 10-05-2009, 07:54 PM

I've been doing a lot of soul searching, trying out variations in house-rules, and even played a few encounters using gunmaster just to see how it flows - here is what I'm thinking now:
  • All characters/NPCs have a chance to act twice in a turn, at their full Initiative & at 1/2 Init, rounded down.
  • Characters who are not knocked down/cowering etc get to act on their full Init value.
  • On their 1/2 Init, rounded down, value characters must pass a modified Initiative test on 1d6 to act again (basically get a free action). Roll 1d6 and add the character's current Threat level (defined below but basically lifted from tw2013); if the result is <= current initiative then the character can act again.
  • On their free action characters can do pretty much anything they like, including moving again - but movement is limited to 40m/5 seconds (i.e. 2 trots, walk + run max).
  • A character that fails the Init check hesitates and does not get the free action.
  • A character that is shot/hit and is Knocked Down does not get to check for a free action because they lose all actions for that turn.
  • A character that is shot/hit and Panics does not get to check for a free action because they lose all actions for a number of turns.
  • On a tied Init count, the lowest Blk weapon wins - otherwise the shots are worked out simultaneously.

Some remarks:
  • A character with Init > 5 with no threat levels is guaranteed to act twice.
  • Threat levels are cleared at the start of the turn.
  • An Init 1 character does not get to check for an extra action at init count 0.
  • I use my threat level play aid to keep track by using counters on the initiatives. I also keep track of threat levels on the same play aid. By simple observation if the counter for the threat level is higher up than the characters Init, the test would fail - so don't roll.
  • For NPCs, the PCs don't know the Inits, so don't worry too much about Threat levels (TL) for the individuals - just roll a bunch of dice with some generalised modifiers based on how the combat is going and decide how many NPCs get to act again.

e.g. an Init 3 character would get to act at count 3 and maybe count 1. For an even fight, and not being shot at he would get to act again on a 1d6 roll of 1, 2 or 3. If getting shot at (+1 TL) on a 1,2. Shot at by automatic fire with 2x10 rnd bursts the TL would be 1+2 = 3, i.e. the character is too suppressed to act a second time.

e.g. a Init 7 character (one guy in my campaign), would always get to act twice in most situations even when getting fired at (TL 1). If behind cover and getting shot at by automatic fire with bullets striking the cover (i.e. would have hit him if the locations were not behind cover) the TL would be 1+1+1 = 3, so he'll get a 2nd action on a 1d6 roll of 1,2,3,4.

By putting fire on individual soldiers you are guaranteed to give them at least TL 1 - this reduces their chance of getting a 2nd action and allows you to manoeuvre etc with a bit more of a tactical feel.

Because characters may now act twice per turn, the ROF of the weapons (in 2.2) are effectively doubled, bringing them up to what the real world ROFs would be (if the characters are burning ammo with 5 auto bursts per action!!)

Tactical Considerations:
  • +1 each 25% causalities
  • +1 attacking prepared position
  • +1 fighting in darkness w/o NV
  • +1 outnumbered 2:1
  • +1 can’t see enemy
  • +1 no escape possible
  • -1 shooting automatic weapons at full ROF
  • -1 outnumber enemy 2:1
  • -1 leader fails (not catastrophic) LDR test, or
  • -2 leader passes Difficult LDR test, or
  • Ignore all Threat, outstanding LDR test
  • LDR test results last for 30 seconds (6 turns)

Basic Considerations:
  • +1 getting shot at
  • +1 in kill zone of automatic fire, or
  • +2 if in kill zone for each 20 bullets
  • +1 under chemical attack with protection, or +2 under chemical attack without necessary protection
  • +1 if hit or if cover stops bullet, or
  • +2 if hit or if cover stops > 3 bullets
  • +1 in burst radius of explosives