Thread: Diving Depths
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2009, 07:18 PM

Location: Equaly at home in the water, the mountains and the desert.

Things to remember for diving:

Lung Capacity, the better and more effecient your breathing is and body is in conditioning the longer your air will last and the more control over your breathing you will have.

Legs, how in chape they are? When I don't dive for months or years or when I was having surgeries every year or so <like now> I could expect some severe cramps in the legs while diving. I work through them, but over the years they are felt more and more when I do dive. These can be dangerous and can eve put a person out of action.

HYDRATION!!! If diving with compressed air, it is dry air, and your mouth will become dry, you will be doing some serious exercise and because you are in a water enviroment you won't feel it as much as say a desert, but you will become dehydrated.

And down right fatigue; again diving is some massivily intense work, and it will wear you out. Fighting to swim, fighting to breathe and fighting and taking a bashing from the currents and waves. And the cold. This will all sap your strength.

Cold; even in a wetsuite it does take its toll. And without gloves, a hood or a wetsuite it will be felt more, and it can cause hypothermia. As well as making you number and feeling more fatigued.

Not wearing gloves? You will get some nasty slashes, handling gear or buckles can even cause some slashes to your fingers if you have been underwater for sometime. And CORAL <can't say it enough> or muscle shells. I sliced the hell out of my hands a few months ago simply pulling up a line on my boat that had falled into the water a few weeks prior. Muscles had started growing and as I pulled the line in, it ran through my hand and sliced the thumb and part of the palm. They are hard and they can be sharp. Same goes for barnacles.

Those are some additional dangers and worries to consider.