View Single Post
Old 07-13-2009, 06:56 PM

Default By dawn’s early light

Following some of the suggestions of my fellow posters, I saw “By dawn’s early light” this last week. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099197/ I liked it. As some good film of this genre, it causes you to move uncomfortably on your seat while the domino effect of the preplotted defensive responses seems to carry unrelentingly the humankind to the abyss of a total nuclear exchange... The human behaviour always being the only unknown factor in the equation.

It’s difficult to assess the weight of individual decisions in the activation and deactivation of the mechanisms of a nuclear response. The Mutual Assured Destruction doctrine can seem logical over an strategic map. A scientific mechanism to keep the scales in an unstable balance point, once two powerful players discover themselves armed to the teeth for the fear to the other. But an accident, a third force in the shadows, terrorism or the misjudgement of the facts by some link in the chain can easily displace the scales. It’s human. And only a human reaction of someone with enough courage and sense to emerge at least one moment from the programmed response could avoid the disaster or, at least, save as many lives as possible once the blind and logical mechanism is activated...

Well, thanks for the reference. A good movie.