View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adm.Lee View Post
Can you PM me your email address, so I can send you my markups?

Question for the cavalry troopers and TO&E nuts here. I was aware that the troops of the regiment would be lettered consecutively, were the Tank companies and artillery batteries included? That is, I'm sure 1st Squadron had A, B, C Troops, are the tanks D Company, and the artillery E? I'm speaking more to the prewar and wartime organizations, not necessarily the German one.

One of my wargaming friends commanded an artillery battery in the 107th ACR in the '70s, he said that his battery had a Field Artillery regimental affiliation (i.e. 3-92 FA), so they would have been outside the 3rd's numbering/lettering. FWIW, that was when there was only one battery for the whole regiment, IIRC.
For the Time Frame of Twilight, the break down would be

First Squadron
A, B, and C Troops= these are the cavalry troops
D Company= this is the tank company
How Battery, 1st Squadron=this would be the squadrons attached artillery battery

Second Squadron
E, F, G troops
H Company
How Battery, 2nd Squadron

Third Squadron
I, K, L troops
M Company
How Battery, 3rd Squadron

Fourth Squadron
N, O, P= scout helicopter troops
Q, R = attack helicopter troops

In the USAREUR regiments (2nd and 11th), the squadron How Batteries were consolidated at the regimental level, this became How-2nd ACR, the state side units, for much of the Cold War period, kept the batteries at the squadron level, although I've heard that the 3ACR adopted USAREUR practice.

Now enters the National Guard.

They march to the beat of a different rock band!

Regimental numbers are allocated to the state, this is a carry over from World War II. The states are not required to man all of their allocated bloc of numbers, but many states have adopted the practise of honoring previous units. This would most likely be what happened with the 107th ACR.