View Single Post
Old 03-15-2009, 11:24 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13

The news stories all say 8000 will leave out of 13000. None of the recent stories I have seen explicitly state that the 5000 will stay but it is a reasonable assumption as they don't mention them going anywhere else. Some stories seem to allude to all the marines leaving, but I do not believe that is correct.

Here are some details on the original 2005 Agreement
http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:...&ct=clnk&gl=us
Quote:
The headquarters of III Marine Expeditionary Force will be relocated to Guam and other locations. Remaining Marine units in Okinawa will be realigned and reduced into a Marine Expeditionary Brigade. About 7,000 Marine officers and enlisted personnel, plus dependents, will be transferred out of Okinawa to Guam.
The numbers have changed a bit but I think the gist of the agreement has remained the same.

When I first read the recent stories it seemed like they were saying all the marines were leaving. I did some followups and some digging after LAW said it was untrue (not that I don't trust you LAW but I like to research things on my own before making any post). Now given the fact that the original agreement states a brigade is staying, no recent article states all 13,000 are leaving, and LAWs assertions have all led me to believe that my initial assessment was wrong.

Again I don't see what the big deal is. The media makes mistakes on reporting military matters all the time. We all know that.