View Single Post
Old 09-14-2009, 01:26 PM

Bona nit!

Ei Mohoender! I'm back again after holidays and I'm wishing to read the last version of your timeline. I have still one entire week of holidays that I will spend at home, so I will have enough time to take a closer look to your work.
Anyway, I will start wiht this thread and leave the others for the night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
-In the target list for Spain, Tarragona was higher in the list than some of the others you mention.
I'm afraid Kellhound is right... you must destroy the Reus-Tarragona area. In our group discussion about the situation of Spain in a Twilight background, the petrochemical industry and the dock/port facilities in this area are at the top of the list. So, blow them up.

Quote:
A couple ideas for Spain.
-There are many small electricity production facilities on the many small rivers of the Pyrenees, mostly in Aragon. Some could even be expanded to supply small towns (a few already are for small hamlets), and base cantonments.
A very plausible situation. I agree with Kellhound. Mmmmm...And it would be an interesting area where to develop a game/adventure.

Quote:
-Right wing parties would give some trouble in your scenario after their leader is killed. Maybe not civil-war-level, but high enough in the political level. It's a tradition here, for "left" and "right" (traditional meaning was lost long ago ) to be as antagonistic as possible. These will be very reactionary to a Catalan independence (possible guerrilla scenario?), and somewhat less in -In the target list for Spain, Tarragona was higher in the list than some of the others you mention. Galicia (they almost conder it "their turf").
Our political scene is... complicated even for us. That's why I try to ignore it
In essence, I agree with Kellhound, too. I'm trying to ignore our political escene, too. But without success for the moment... Sometimes they are so noisy...

The independence of Catalonia is a strategic loss for Spain and could be an important cause to a limited civil-war state. I think that it's not easy to polarize the will of the catalans towards the unilateral declaration of independence. So, you must search a very good reason or the kind of desperate situation that would cause this declaration. Through history, our past conflicts in Spain are often more related to trying to change the entire political map of the country to make it a more suitable place for our interests than for gaining the independence. I only remember a single uprising that, eventually, pursued the independece from Spain and it was in the background of the Thirty Years War. And, even in that moment, the initial spark was not the independence but the anger caused by the excesses of Spanish troops in Catalonia while on route to fight the Frenchs. After the uprising, Catalonia proclaim her independece and looked for the French support as the only, desperate solution to avoid the Spanish retaliation. I think a similar situation could match your timeline. The excesses caused by the hastily expanded Guardia Civil forces of your timeline could do the job. As Kellhound stated, any movement of Catalonia towards the independence would have an inmediate response of the right wing parties, that would blame the government, a left wing government with Felipe González in your timeline, to be too soft. Possible certain areas of Spain, depending of their political balance, could declare themselves not tied to the legal goverment. A true Twilight:2000 situation...