View Single Post
Old 04-17-2020, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteelCynic View Post
With such a huge global population and with so many of those people living in close proximity these days, it was only a matter of time before some epidemic became a pandemic and started stripping away some of the population.

To be really blunt and brutal, the planet is over-populated with humans, the planet and humanity itself could actually do with less humans. Less over-crowding makes us less vulnerable to such epidemics in the future.
The economy on the other hand...
I have a real hard time believing this overcrowding when even the BBC says "Around half of the world’s land currently holds around 2% of the planet’s population, whereas only about 3% of total land supports more than half of humanity." [Article is https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2...-out-of-space]. Based on my experience growing up in the middle of nowhere WA, we had a small town of about four by six blocks and lots and lots of open space where people lived unless they were family most did not have a neighbor closer than a mile or so. Now I do hear this overcrowding bit from my coworkers and such who grew up (and still live) in the big cites but even then it does not take long to leave them all in the rear view.