Thread: Italy in T2K
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2016, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Six View Post
As I said earlier you can debate the logic (and wisdom) of the Italians' choices after they enter the War.
Italian politicians in T2K are obviously as responsible as they are in real life!

Quote:
However simply having Italian forces fighting alongside Pact troops as allies or even being under Pact operational command does not automatically equate to Italy formally joining the Warsaw Pact.
But I do think that NATO would still equate Italy as being allied with the Warsaw Pact and would treat its forces accordingly.

Quote:
If it suits individual GM's to have Italy do so that's their choice. I'm simply stating the fact that there is no canon quote anywhere to confirm it, something which it seems we agree on.
GDW for some unknown reason never states that Italy joined or did not join the Warsaw Pact, so all we can do is go along with what canon facts we have

* Italy leaves NATO when other NATO forces cross the inter-German border.
* Italy is now hostile to NATO, at least NATO seems to think that.
* Greece (ex-NATO) goes to war with Turkey (NATO) in January 1997 after the Turks invade Cyprus.
* Italy signs a mutual defence treaty with Greece in February 1997.
* Greece fights with Warsaw Pact armies against the Turks in the Balkans through the Spring of 1997
* Greek pressure on Turkish forces in Thrace causes major problems for over extended Turkish forces by May 1997.
* A NATO convoy to aid the Turks is intercepted and badly mauled by the Greek Navy in June 1997.
* NATO retaliatory air strikes against Greece leads to Italy fulfilling her treaty obligations to Greece by July 2nd 1997.
* In early July Italian forces invade Austria.
* By mid-July Italian forces begin to invade Southern Germany
* Afterwards numerous references to Italian forces fighting with Warsaw Pact armies in Central Europe.

So your own conclusion to that would be whatever suits your game.

Quote:
Only indirectly. The first quote I referenced referred to Venice being the only City to escape nuclear attack and then goes on to refer to Rome being rebuilt.
We know that Italy was nuked, although I don't think canon states who actually nuked it. I don't think Rome was nuked for the same reason that Mecca or Jerusalem were not. But if it was I'm not really that bothered by the fact.

BTW does anyone know how many divisions the Italian Army had in T2K? In real life the Italian Army was reorganised between 1975 and 1986 and all of its divisions were dissolved and replaced by brigades and regiments assigned to corps. This obviously did not happen in T2K or was reversed. Going Home lists the Ariete Armoured Division, the Folgore Mechanised Division and Mantova Mechanised Division. Were there any more?