View Single Post
Old 03-21-2022, 01:54 PM

I've stumbled across additional Soviet Orbat materials in the time since my last update in this thread, and ended up re-doing my entire document on the Soviets and how their TVDs shook out toward the end of the 80s. FL definitely seems to have slipped up on a couple of items, in that in the Ref Manual they refer to the 3rd Shock Army, when really it was the 3rd Combined Arms Army, but for the most part I think they hit the nail on the head with a lot of their units and locations. I also wonder if they may have accidentally used the 20th Tank Division instead of the 20th Guards Motorized Rifle Division, but they may have done that on purpose. C'est la vie.

Check it out:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...f=true&sd=true

*Edit: Based on the data in that file, I think it's interesting to see a few things:
1. FL appears to have largely just taken some of the units from the Group of Soviet Forces in Germany (GSFG) for their Soviet orbat in Southern Poland. This makes me wonder about a few things - What happened to the 2nd Guards Tank Army and the 20th Combined Arms Army? Perhaps those units were in Northern Poland, or were simply no longer in existence due to the war's attrition? And what happened to the multitude of Soviet forces in the Baltic states/Leningrad, and in Belarus? Why were they not in Poland as well?
2. I didn't list it on the sheet, but Sweden seems to be a more random mix of units from the area. You have the 76th Airborne division, which is well situated. Then you have the 1st GMRD from the 11th Guards Combined Army (sourced from the Baltic Military District), and also the 131st MRD from the 6th Combined Arms Army from the Leningrad Military District. Then on top of those you have naval infantry elements in the form of the 336th Naval Infantry Brigade, BUT you have battalions from the 175th Naval Infantry Brigade as well (the 336th based out of Kaliningrad and the 175th out of Murmansk).

Last edited by Heffe; 03-21-2022 at 02:10 PM.