View Single Post
Old 04-26-2010, 06:25 PM
The Stat Guy

Default I Need Some Google-Fu Expertise

I was just fooling around on the internet and started looking at stuff about the Tank Breaker and Assault Breaker programs mentioned in the T2K timelines. (They're real, BTW -- the Tank Breaker program resulted in the Javelin ATGM and the Assault Breaker program created the Wide-Area Antiarmor Munition Bomb and the Extended-Range Antiarmor Munition round for 155mm howitzers, MLRS rockets, and ATACMS missiles.)

But I also came across something else interesting by accident, at this page:

http://www.cato.org/pubs/pas/pa015.html

It mentions this:

STAFF

Another third generation, man-portable antitank system is called the Small Target-Activated Fire-and-Forget (STAFF) weapon. It is described as a 155-millimeter (6.1-inch) diameter recoilless rifle that is fired from the shoulder like a bazooka. Its range is one to one-and-a-half miles, and it is aimed to fly over the tank like the skeet previously described. A millimeter-wave radar looks for the tank and, upon detection, the projectile explodes, driving a slug down at the tank. Whereas TANK BREAKER is all-weather, day-or-night capable, its infrared sensor can be defeated by a smoke screen. The millimeter-wave radar of STAFF overcomes that limitation.

I've never heard of that one, and I'd like to know more about it. I can't figure out how to query any of the search engines to give me anything but irrelevant stuff (virtually all the results I get have to do with the staffs of corporations, businesses, or military units). I need someone to help that has better skill at manipulating search engines, and I know that there are some of you on this board that are really good at it. Help me out?

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com