View Single Post
Old 12-09-2020, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteelCynic View Post
But it would not be in the middle of a nuclear war. 1996 the war was only just beginning, too early to throw nukes around.

And on another point, the bit about Australian military forces being in Korea or anywhere else. Wasn't that retroactively added by later material written by fans? Although some of those books are accepted as canon, they were written many years after the close of GDW.

My point being, a Referee could easily have the Olympics happen without much disruption because the war was barely started .
I think Targan was replying to Leg's speculation about whether the 1998 Commonwealth Games would have taken place?

FWIW I totally agree that the 1996 Olympics would have taken place (I can't see any good reason why they would not have as the War was confined to the Chinese and the Russians at that point, albeit maybe with a Soviet led boycott).

The 1998 Commonwealth Games would be a non starter through I think.

The prospect of the Eurovision Song Contest continuing is....interesting IIRC the first time Bosnia entered Sarajevo was still under siege and when the they called in their votes and did the traditional 'Hello enter Host City name here, this is Sarajevo calling' the whole place burst into cheers and applause. Or maybe that's apocryphal. It was a long time ago.

And pretty sure you're right about Australian participation in Korea being a relatively new thing. Unless I'm mistaken it's first mentioned in Rae's Korean Sourcebook, which only came out in the last couple of years (Rae can probably confirm).