Thread: Currency
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2015, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raellus View Post
Nice. I did a forum and thread map/archive search for currency but missed this. Merge completed.

I don't think there's no case for gold, I just think that by 2000, most average citizens will have spent most of their gold (i.e. jewelry, family silver service, etc.) on basic necessities like food, shelter, protection, etc.
You are probably correct here. Most average citizans would have spent their gold and silver that they originally had.

Quote:
Therefore, dedicated merchants might have accumulated quantities of gold and silver to do business with, but your average citizen will still have very little, if any. As a result, something else is needed for use as currency. That's my reasoning, at least. My question is what will be used?
Pretty solid reasoning, but I think that you didn't extrapolate from one thing you said - "dedicated merchants might have accumulated quantities of gold and silver to do business with," (and you are correct, they probably would have). But the merchants would also be spending that gold and silver (at least some of it) for more stock. So, merchant buys food for resale from farmer, farmer probably gets some things from merchant that he needs and may very well get some gold and silver also. Farmer has people working for him, probably family, friends, and very possibly some (former) refugees the farmer took in. Farmer is providing food and shelter for everyone (which in T2K is a lot), but these people might need or want some additional items that the farmer can't provide, but that the merchant (or another later merchant) might have, or that the workers could get from someone at the "Trade Market" in town. Now the farmer could hand the workers a busher of whatever is being grown for thm to use to barter, or he could hand them a small amount of silver or gold to buy that extra stuff. So I think that especially by 2000+ if not sooner, gold and silver would be going back out in circulation. At least some. Though there would still be a need for other currency based on some or many of the things mentioned before.