View Single Post
Old 07-08-2022, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raellus View Post
As a PC, have you used them, encountered them? As a Ref, have you incorporated motorcycles into your campaigns?

In addition to their reconnaissance function, I see motorcycles as being an important tool for inter-unit coms in the post-TDM world. I've also used them as marauder improvised FAVs.

This article about Ukrainian hunter-killer missile teams using 1980s-era motorcycles with sidecars to shoot-and-scoot inspired this thread.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zon...-with-sidecars

-
The USSR produced 9,000 Ural motorcycles based on the BMW R45 with sidecars and about a quarter of them were equipped with the 2-wheel-drive unit on the sidecar's wheel. These were used for scouting and messenger duties and the VDV had them in their units as transporters able to take a stretcher or carry heavy weapons. The sidecar could be equipped with a PACT Light pintle mount and the VDV units were often shown with a PKM on their URALS. The vehicle is relatively reliable and sells well EVEN TODAY in the West... yes you can buy a Ural (even a 2-wheel drive version) here in America.

The US did use dirt bikes for recon duties and seemed to favor either Hondas or Kawasakis for such missions. HOWEVER, the medium weight (400cc to 650cc) 4-Wheeler was HUGELY popular in the US and Canada in the 90s. It took the US Army only a couple of months to buy and ship Polaris 4X4 ATVs (650s) to Afghanistan for the Global War On Terror. I believe the same thing would happen in the Twilight War. The 4X4 capability, low ground weight, small "footprint" (most ATVs are 65" or less in width), and ability to carry SEVERAL HUNDRED POUNDS in front and rear cargo racks would trump the Dual-Sport motorcycle's greater range. SUTs (aka Side-by-Sides) were not really a thing yet, so you wouldn't see very many. The John Deere Gator MIGHT make an appearance in small numbers. "Quad bikes" (as our European cousins call them) would rule in wooded and mountainous terrain.