Thread: Full Disclosure
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2009, 07:16 AM

I think all (yes ALL) of us structure our lives in a way that allows us access to our 'oasis', and having that system compromised is disturbing. Gaming is my Oasis, and even though my mom died in April this year, I only missed a handful of my standing Saturday gaming sessions. It does not matter to me that 'they are just games', because I love them, and I need them.

I have seen sooo many faces of mental illness in my profession (I work at a group home) and personal life (my side of the family is mega-dysfunctional) that I can honestly say, without knowing any specifics of your situation, that my heart breaks for you, Kato. If confronting mental illness did not cause you to question your own sanity, then I would be really worried. It is worse when it is a loved one, but witnessing the effects of any type of serious illness troubles the mind.

In the U.S. at least, mental illness in very misunderstood and therefor under-reported and underestimated. Very few who might question your commitment to a loved one with a mental illness would do so if it was a physical illness instead. This is slowly changing, and it is now recognized that talented, imaginative, intelligent, and especially creative people are more susceptible to mental illness than others. Hello! As RPGers of the Old School, this is us.

This forum is a special place. Some of us are internet refugees from the old boards, and some have only joined this group since the move, but we all rely of the fact that this forum is here when we log on. I belong to a bunch of forums, but none of those are even close to this one in terms of community.

Cdnwolf is right, when you hurt, we hurt. I can offer you some advice. You need to do whatever it is that keeps you sane. Your loved one is counting on that at least. Right now, there is a greater call on your time, and that means you will not be able to do all the things you normally take care of. Naturally, when others start covering your responsibilities, some things are not going to get done to your satisfaction. You will have to find a way to let that go.

Which brings me to my point. It is time we had some Mods. I would think on a board this size, two or three should be enough. Remember the old boards, with basically zero moderation? We did really well there, and I am confident that you could tap a person or two that would accept the job.

Whatever is decided, I am having a good thought for you and your loved one.