Thread: Full Disclosure
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2009, 04:23 PM

Hi Kato
As someone who has suffered from depression in the past I sympathise with your predicament. I firmly believe that, given how many people suffer from some sort of mental illness to one degree or another during the course of their lives, that we should all be as open about it as possible.

About ten years ago I had a severe bout that put me off work for several weeks - I just wanted to sit in a corner of a darkened room - until the drugs started working (my company health plan covered visits to a shrink, and I found it interesting how my GP and my shrink came to a similar conclusion by wholly different routes)/ When I went back I decided to be completely open about it - and my boss was totally cool, considering I walked into his office and told him I was (literally) sick of my job and if he couldn't help me move to something different I'd have to leave.

I've had a couple of minor episodes in the last ten years - enough so I know exactly what Winston Churchill was talking about when he referred to the "black dog" that followed him around - it's always there, sitting in the back of your mind on any morning when you wake up not feeling 100% sure you want to go to work on the grounds you'd really rather do anything else instead.....

Anyway, Kato, I go hope everything works out for you, and yours.

Malcolm