View Single Post
Old 01-24-2022, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b View Post
That reminds of a story from Vietnam...a Cobra spotted a PT-76 moving across a field, but all his rockets were gone except for an HE pod. He fired anyway, thinking he could slow them down...when friendlies got to the strangely-immobilized PT later, they found that there were no penetrating hits, but the crew was dead nonetheless, and they all had blood coming out their noses and ears...the HE rounds didn't penetrate the PT, but the concussion from the HE rounds had killed them.

There should be a rule for that...
Try this...

I place the LCG Penetration numbers in V2.2 in the DAMAGE column. This Damage is treated just like Small Arms Damage and is the number of DICE of Damage that the LCG can do to people or structures. When striking objects like the components in tanks or other large or tough items, the Damage is treated as "points" not "dice," so IF you shot the side of a generator, you would not need to roll 80 D6s (see below)!

I then give the various rounds the normal Small Arms PEN numbers like 1/2 (APDS), 1/4 (APDSDU), 1(HEAT), 2 (HEDP/HESH), 3 (HE), 4 (HE-Frag/Illum/WP). The armor is multiplied by the PEN and that amount is subtracted from the Damage with the excess going through. When you hit a vehicle with an EXPLOSIVE ROUND, the armor CAN stop a large amount of the physical damage BUT the occupants will take 1 POINT of Concussion Damage per Die of HE/HEAT Damage the armor stops. These points are distributed equally to all locations with excess points being assigned to Heat, Chest, Abdomen, Arms, and Legs in that order. Spaced armor/Blast-Ablative armor halves the Concussion Damage and Chobbam armor/Mine-Resistant armor quarters it.

Any Damage that penetrates is distributed on a Vehicle Location Hit Chart (this is just a random chart with 20 lines on it with components listed on each line. Large components like autocannon can take up multiple lines). This is just a listing of major components and crew on that facing of the vehicle. You roll a 1D20 on this chart to see what is hit and I then have the players roll ANOTHER 1D20. This represents the percentage of damage to that item. If you roll a 7, the item was hit for 35% of its capacity. I give every item what is essentially like a Durability Rating which represents 10% of its Durability. So IF you hit the radio (5 Durability) and roll a 10 on that D20, the radio is 50% damaged and you subtract 50 points from the Damage remaining and roll then for another item to take a hit IF any Damage Dice remain. If a crew is hit each point on the D20 equals ONE DIE of Damage received. So a roll of 12 would equal 12D6 Damage. IF All the penetrating damage is absorbed by a single component, that is the only thing which is hit. For example, a 125mm DU round penetrates the turret of an M60A3 with 30 Damage and hits the main gun (150 durability). The player doesn't even need to roll the Percentage of Damage die because it is just 10%. No additional items are damaged either. If you're wondering, yes this is 2300AD's ship damaging system mixed with v1 & v2.2 damage rules.

Last edited by swaghauler; 03-03-2022 at 09:22 PM. Reason: added a clarification