View Single Post
Old 02-28-2014, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteelCynic View Post

The Australian Abrams are former US Army & USMC models built to M1A1 standard rather than new builds. They are rebuilt to "zero hour/zero kilometer" configuration. This was probably done so that they would not be fitted with the depleted uranium armour.
The reason for not using the depleted uranium armour was a government decision because they didn't like the idea of radioactive material trundling around the place (yeah, yeah, I know and you know it has no chance of contaminating anything or anyone but the government did not want to upset the greenies who are fanatically opposed to radioactive materials - although they don't seem to mind all the benefits from nuclear medicine or seem to care that the sun provides more radiation but that's another story for a different thread).
They are also fitted with the Tank Urban Survivability Kit i.e. TUSK.

We purchased 59 M1A1 AIM* MBTs and seven M88A2 recovery vehicles (some sources say five M88 but Australian government sources say seven) along with MAN TGA 8x8 prime movers (AKA tractor truck) towing trailers designed & built by Drake Trailers Australia to form 14 heavy tank transporters.
The trailer has a split deck that spreads to the width of the tank when needed just like other oversized load bearing trailers. It can also lower itself to the ground for loading so the suspension takes none of the loading forces.
* AIM - Abrams Integrated Management.

The tanks are run on diesel rather than avgas and this has no appreciable impact on the operational range of 430km. The decision for diesel is that every other vehicle in the Army (aside from staff cars and the like) runs on diesel.
The operational range is a sore point as the Leopard AS1 MBTs got about 500km. It's not a big problem for Europe or North America where there are many more facilities but it's a serious issue for Australia where the distance between rural towns may be anywhere between 200 to 500 kilometers. Particularly relevant for the Abrams because as far as I know, it does not have a fuel pump to allow it to refill itself. It still relies on an external pump to transfer fuel.

There are two specific reasons the Abrams was chosen (not taking into consideration the political reasons for buying it) - it was already wired up for network centric warfare and it makes for easier inter-nation operability and support (including parts, training etc. etc.) with the US.
They don't have the DU armor inserts? Urgh. Well, here's hoping your guys won't be needing those, though geopolitical events in the Pacific as of late don't seem to be boding well...

With that said, does that mean the Australians aren't using the DU sabot rounds in their tanks as well? Are they using something else, standard HEAT rounds perhaps?

As for the mileage....yeah, that was always one of the few chinks in the M1 Abram's package. Apparently the designers felt there was going to have to be tradeoffs between range, survivability, firepower, speed, etc. and chose to sacrifice range for the rest. They've been tweaking with the engine design for the Abrams back here in the U.S. but I don't think they've really come up with an effective alternative yet. You still got a lot of heavy armor to push with that engine and you need plenty of horsepower to do so. So hence there's always a long logistics chain that follows the M1 Abrams convoys.
"The use of force is always an answer to problems. Whether or not it's a satisfactory answer depends on a number of things, not least the personality of the person making the determination. Force isn't an attractive answer, though. I would not be true to myself or to the people I served with in 1970 if I did not make that realization clear."
— David Drake