View Single Post
Old 12-07-2009, 05:23 PM
Your Friendly 92Y20!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webstral View Post
This is excellent. I have a month-long break from school coming up after Christmas, and I have been giving serious thought to getting back into The Storm in Germany and/or the Sino-Soviet War. If you don't mind, I may simply appropriate your OB as of 01 OCT for the PLA and guide towards it during 1996.

Webstral

I altered the RL historical Group Army designations to match the ones in your earlier work, as best as I could. Since the gap is so huge, I fudged it, and assumed (and we all know what assuming makes...) that the net result of the 1996 campaign season on the Chinese army was zero - that the 80-some new divisions feared by the Soviet politburu prior to Tchaikovskiy were either not raised, raised and destroyed during the year, disbanded to bring existing units back up to strength, or simply took the unit numbers of units that had been wiped out. On the equipment, heavy mortars and truck and trailer-mounted MRLs have become dominant, easier to manufacture than traditional tube artillery. Higher-level reserve artillery units are equipped with Western-supplied Assault Breaker systems - essentially HIMARS rocket systems firing ATACMS with Skeet submunitions.

The reinforcements listed in the newer version of the orbat are in keeping in line with your supposition that 80 divisions could be raised in 5 months. 75% of those units are committed to the Northern War Zone, the rest split between the Strategic Reserve (50%), the far west (25%) and the Vietnamese border (25%). They are listed going forward so that we can wargame the Far Eastern campaign, initially for the Soviet Army Guide but also for a Northeast Asia Sourcebook, which will hopefully eventually cover Hanoi-Anchorage.
I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...