View Single Post
Old 07-18-2018, 07:36 PM

If you desperately want Prime Base to be accessed by a grain elevator, you can do so. It feels incredibly forced to me.

Sure, you can cover the grain elevator loading bay. You can fake a farm. I still think this stuff draws attention and risks exposure, for the reasons previously mentioned and more. Your farm has to be large enough that the substantial quantity of goods coming in can be disguised in the reasonable traffic of the farm, and that means a big farm. You have to have a reason to cover the unloading area, not at all common in the Midwest or Nevada*, and a reason for all those rail cars to go through there. You can make it an experimental farm but then you have to justify the expense and defy the interest it would reasonably attract. You could make it a whole company town, but that has a TON of risks associated with it, including letting a bunch of other people in on the secret who otherwise have no reason to be (because if they had a reason to know about the Project, they would be working on Project necessities and not running an experimental low water farm in the desert).

In short, I think there are less risky options out there, AND those options also address other needs for the Project - a mine** handles the excavation of the base, a distribution center helps with the large volume of supplies being shipped by the Project, etc. This, to me, looks the Project getting into a whole new, unnecessary, otherwise unneeded field of endeavor for no real reason.

And please don't think I am trying to be mean or unusually critical - this is how critical I always am, and your grain elevator idea already shows more thought and logic than the canonical "under a ranch" idea. But I don't think it works unless there are other unmentioned factors, like drastically scaling back the size of the base.

*: Not an expert, but I've spent time in backcountry Nevada and Midwest farm country.

**: A mine is probably *as* risky. The mine risks exposure by a small number of government people, the farm risks exposure by a larger number of ordinary people.