View Single Post
Old 01-25-2009, 03:23 PM

Default BBC, 1984 "Threads"

Bona nit!

Probably some of you (specially if you're living in the UK) have watched the 1984 BBC docudrama titled Threads, by Barry Hines. For my part, I've discovered it this past week, by chance, while lurking through the Internet. I think that the film has never been translated to Spanish language or showed in any Spanish TV channel, so I had no previous idea about its existence. Anyway, I've been able to found a quiet moment to watch it only two hours ago. And, what can I say? First, it has been impossible for me to allow myself a single moment of relax in the last two hours, finding myself holding my breath in more than one scene. Sometimes I've felt a powerful temptation to stop the film, shut down the computer and leave it for another occasion. In a few words, I still can feel a grim, nightmarish and disturbing after taste. Anyway, I cannot by recommend "Threads" to all of you, even if the nuclear war has not been the nightmare of your teenage years.

A video link:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...90698427111488

And , for more information, the intro from the Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Threads

"Threads is a 1984 BBC television play depicting the effects of a nuclear war on the United Kingdom and its aftermath. Written by Barry Hines and directed by Mick Jackson, Threads was filmed in late 1983 and early 1984. The premise of Threads was to hypothesise the effects of a nuclear war on the United Kingdom after an exchange between the Soviet Union and the United States escalates to include the UK.
The story begins nearly three months before the attack, which happens on Thursday, 26 May, though the year is unspecified. We watch two families' reactions — the Kemps and the Becketts — first as fighting erupts and escalates, then as the UK places itself on a war footing, and eventually as strategic bombing commences. We then follow family members as they face and eventually die of the medical, economic, social, and environmental consequences of a nuclear war. The play concludes thirteen years after the attack, showing a shattered civilisation and children speaking broken English. Both the plot and the atmosphere of the play are extremely bleak."