View Single Post
Old 02-09-2023, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raellus View Post
Ukrainian forces have terminated their first Russian BMPT. Hopefully the other "Terminators" meet the same fate very soon.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zon...combat-vehicle

It looks like the "Terminator" in question had been abandoned prior to the artillery strikes, as it makes no effort to evade or reposition after the first near miss.

If that is indeed the case, it highlights another major shortcoming of the Russian ground forces that's become very apparent since the invasion kicked off almost a year ago- the failure to recover disabled AFVs. Do the Russians simply lack sufficient numbers of ARVs with which to do so, or is this failure more a function of poor tactics and battlefield command and control? I tend to think it's more the latter, as like vehicles (i.e. another BMPT or AFV with sufficient horsepower) could conceivably taken its disabled sister under tow and drag it out of harms way.

Also, the footage could indicate that the BMPT was operating alone. This is a tactical blunder that we've seen repeated over and over by the Russian ground forces in Ukraine.

Bringing this back around to T2k, does the BMPT make an appearance in your T2kU? (It does in mine.)

-
It was reported as disabled before the indirect fire strikes. This might have been a strike to eliminate it before it could be dragged away for repairs. It was destroyed by the 140th Marine Reconnaissance Battalion, a relatively new unit that was stood up in 2019. The fighting was geolocated to a forest between Kreminna and Bilohorivka, Luhasnk Oblast.

A little further south, Russia lost 31 vehicles in Vuhledar, Donetsk Oblast, including 13 tanks (mostly T-72B3, at least one T-80BVM) and 12 BMPs.

Getting back to the game, I haven't used the Terminator. It's too new for the timelines I've run, with a single company of 9 vehicles formed last year. If I was going to use the BMPT concept, I'd probably go back to the late 1980s BMPT designs. Both were built on modified T-72B hulls in 1987.

Object 781 sb.7 used two independently rotating turrets, each with a 2A42 30mm autocannon and a coaxial PKT. Each turret could also have either a 4-pack of smoke grenades or a twin ATGM launcher (I've seen different sources claim it as either a Konkurs or Ataka launcher). There were also a pair of 30mm grenade launchers or a pair of PKTs in the front fenders, along with a pair of NSV machine guns to cover the flanks and rear from a low-profile "mini-turret" behind the main turrets. It carried 550 rounds for each autocannon, 2000 rounds for each machine gun, and 300 grenades for each launcher (inf installed). Crew was 7 - a driver and two gunners at the front of the hull, the commander and gunner in the middle, and two NSV gunners at the rear.

Object 781 sb.8 had a more conventional layout with a turret containing a 2A70 100mm gun from the BMP-3 and a coaxial 2A42 30mm gun with 50 and 500 rounds respectively, along with up to 4 Bastion gun-fired anti-tank missiles. It also had a pair of hull-mounted PKTs that could fire to the side or front, and the same fender-mounted automatic grenade launcher and PKT module as Object 781. It had 1,000 rounds for each PKT and 300 for each grenade launcher, and likewise had a crew of 7.

Allegedly there was also an Object 781 sb.9 with a 57mm gun, but I haven't found any solid information on that. The Soviet Union was more impressed with Object 781 sb.7 and planned to put it into production, and then the collapse happened.

The Vespers War - Ninety years before the Twilight War, there was the Vespers War.