Thread: Hong Kong
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2008, 09:24 AM

Default Hong Kong

Does anyone have any thoughts on what might have happened to Hong Kong in a v1 timeline?

I seem to recall that canon had the British Hong Kong garrison fighting the Soviets under Chinese command and eventually linking up with the Americans near the Yalu (although I might be getting v1 and v2 confused here?). I have difficulty accepting that British troops would be placed under Chinese command, and what I'm considering as an alternative is that the UK forces remained in situ in Hong Kong through the first half of 1997 providing local security. So would they then withdraw before 30 June or would the ongoing War be used as an excuse to retain British control, either by negotiation with the Chinese Government or simply by staying in place?

I'm inclined to think that in the short term the latter might be an attractive option, given Hong Kong's importance as a container port (at least before the nukes started flying).

Alternatively, if the troops did withdraw as scheduled, then perhaps they might move to Singapore to provide additional security at the invitation of the Singapore Government, or even to Australia, where they might find themselves stranded and would then assist the Australian Army in repelling the Indonesians? There's even the chance of going to the Portuguese Colony at Macau, which wasnt scheduled for handover until 1999 or - possibly the simplest solution - reinforce the UK Middle East Field Force.

Any thoughts anyone?