View Single Post
Old 08-17-2012, 05:55 PM

First of all I'd second "Dead Men Risen" by Toby Harnden - easily the best book about the British in Afghanistan that I've read.

Secondly, I'd recommend "Black Hearts" by Jim Fredericks. It sounds wrong to say I enjoyed this book - it is about Bravo Company of 1/502 in Iraq in 2006/7. At the centre of the book is how four soldiers of the battalion murdered an Iraqi family of four and raped the 14 year old daughter before murdering her - but the story of Bravo Company's time in Iraq that places the murder in context is pretty chilling reading. Fredericks has clearly researched his subject pretty thoroughly and describes the emotional impact of a year spent "outside the wire" extremely well - I'd recommend this book for anyone interested in the psychological aspects of war crimes, and I think it should be read by commanders up to at least company level.

I'm interested to hear the views of some veterans on this one. Obviously it always risky to base an opinion on one journalist take on an event but after reading the book I'd have sacked just about everybody involved in the chain of command (one couldn't help contrasting the calibre and style of management in the 502nd with that of the Welsh Guards in Toby Harnden's book) - nobody at any level really comes out of it looking good. Clearly the guys who committed the crimes were guilty and there are no excuses for what they did - but after reading the book I couldn't help feeling that they and their colleagues had been let down at just about every level of management right the way to the very top. Instead pretty well everyone (except for the four perpetrators) who had some command responsibility for these men appears to have continued their careers in the army as though nothing much had happened.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Hearts...5247348&sr=1-1

Last edited by Littlearmies; 08-17-2012 at 06:02 PM.