View Single Post
Old 11-11-2009, 04:26 AM
The Stat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by copeab View Post
Not that I know of, no.

IE6 and Netscape 8 run (as well as such dinosaurs can be expected) but I try to avoid using them for security reasons.

IE8 failed to run after two automatic updates this spring I had to uninstall it and go back to IE6.

Firefox 3 was working fine until a few weeks ago, when it tried to update after a computer malfunction (for only the second time, the laptop failed to hibernate after being folded up, this time staying powered until the battery was totally drained with Firefox open, them Firefox attempting to do an update shortly after I plugged in the computer and turned it on). I have deleted all Firefox files, installed and uninstalled Firefox 3.5 and 3.0.14, but it won't run. I get an hourglass for a couple of seconds, then nothing. Google Chrome won't even get that far.
OK, this is going to sound strange but bear with me. Re-install one of those programs (do them one at a time). Don't try to open the program. After you re-install it, immediately uninstall it again. This should clean out your registry. Reboot. Manually search for and delete any files related to the program (put any personal files, such as bookmarks, into a ZIP file so you can get them back later, and leave the ZIP file in the directory). Reboot again. Re-install the program. It should work properly this time. Unzip your personal files.

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com