View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 12:41 PM

Default Silver Shogunate

I had a burst of creative insight in the car dropping the kids off at their grandparents. I don’t have the time to work with this idea, but it’s worth setting down. (Besides, I’m supposed to be working on Roadrunners.)

The Shogun in Nevada is opposed by a very modest resistance group that operates by exploiting his weaknesses. The Shogun has a force of light motorized infantry that he keeps constantly on the move as a means of providing security over his wide-spread domain. He taxes the surviving communities in Nevada (about 15% of the pre-war population) heavily to keep his force mobile. The Shogun basically is running a protection racket. His force has superior firepower, numbers, and operational mobility compared to the various marauder bands that wander into his zone of control. The troops are experienced urban combatants. They also do fairly well in the field under certain conditions. However, they are not very good at operating at any distance from the road or long-range rifle marksmanship. The Shogun has been attempting to grow this capability, but as of April, 2001 he hasn’t had the success he would like.

A native resistance movement has sprung up. The insurgents are few in number, because there is very little left to support them. They are horse-mounted for mobility away from the roads controlled by the Shogun’s forces. They use hunting rifles so they can fight without closing with the Shogun’s superior forces. Most of their energies go to keeping the small force alive in the wilderness and negotiating contact and resupply with cantonments where the Shogun’s kempetei, or secret police, control the town.

The player characters might be assigned to make contact with and arrange for logistical support of the resistance. Perhaps one mission will be to conduct a thorough recce of Nevada and the Shogun’s operation so that what limited supply can be arranged can be used to greatest effect. This offers a chance to get the PCs out of their vehicles and onto horses.